General Class Information:
Very small class sizes! Choose to take a private class just for you or a semi-private class on the online calendar for only 2-3 people per class. Small groups allow for a more personal, enjoyable experience, in which you can feel comfortable to ask all of your questions and then go home ready to try out your new skill!
Available every day of the week! Set up a private class any day of the week at a time that works best for you or book a slot in an available class on the online calendar.
100% hands-on! Make the products yourself; you won't watch, you'll do.
Customize your products! I supply the recipes & ingredients, and you choose which work best for you.
Bring nothing! Everything is provided in the class with NO extra materials fee.
It's all in the details! Take home a thorough, detailed instructional handout with recipes, ingredients, materials list & suppliers.
Safely First! Since lye, KOH, is used in this class, you will be provided the best safety equipment for the class. A common question: is lye necessary for soap making? Yes! A base is needed with one hydroxide ion, so Potassium Hydroxide is used. But, don't worry, there is no lye in the final product due to the chemical reaction that takes place between the carrier oils and the lye, which is converted into salt! My goal is for you to understand what lye is, how to handle lye & to respect lye, not fear it! Come to class to learn more about lye, including its history & many other uses! Check out my most recent reviews to see what previous students had to say about working with lye.
Liquid Soap & Face Wash Making Class (3.5 hours)
This hands-on class is for those who want to learn about the most versatile type of soap, which is liquid soap, & then how to use it to make face (or body) wash. The liquid soap is a soap base, similar to castile soap, and it can be added to various recipes to make a variety of products, not only face wash, but also dish soap, laundry detergent & more. It is just one of the ingredients used to make face wash; other skin-nourishing ingredients are added so that your face wash is best for your particular skin type, including honey, natural/carriers oils like avocado oil or jojoba oil, butters, aloe vera & coconut milk.
We'll cover the following:
- The science behind soap making, saponification, & other important soap terms like super-fatting & curing
- Lye information & safety (read more above: "Safety First!") & a brief history of soap making
- The materials and ingredients needed and where to get them
- How to formulate a soap recipe based on your needs (e.g. dry skin, sensitive skin), using a very handy online soap calculator
- Making your liquid soap, which includes a cooking phase, and what to do at home afterwards; liquid soap can be used after 24 hours
- Making your face wash, customized by you for your particular skin-care needs
Formulating a balanced recipe is the most important part of soap making, so my goal is for you to go home feeling very capable & comfortable with the intricacies of the soap calculator.
Go home with a customized product! In class, you will:
- Choose a recipe that is best for your skin type (e.g. more conditioning or bubbly)
- Make 28-30 fl oz. of liquid soap, customized with your choice of essential oils, and 4 fl oz of face wash, also customized with the ingredients of your choice
- Go home with 6 liquid-soap recipes and thorough, step-by-step instructional handout, including ingredients, lye info & history, recipes and a list of materials/equipment & online suppliers
Everything is provided in the class, as well as some snacks & tea.
You must wear closed-toe shoes, a long-sleeved shirt and pants to this class.
Natural lotion (+$30), bath bombs/fizzies (+$20) & lip balm (+$15) can be added on to any class; each adds about 30-90 minutes, depending on the product. Each product can be customized with the ingredients of your choice, based on your fragrance preference &/or skin-care needs.
Class Cost & Discounts:
Receive a discount if you want to take more than 1 class or if there are 3 or more in your party. Please contact Lindsay for more information & to set up your class.
Private Class: $140; contact Lindsay to set up your class at a time that works for you
- For a class by yourself
- If you want to make 3 or more products in 1 class (you can receive a discount as well)
- If there are 2 or more in your party (you can receive a discount as well)
Semi-private Class on the Online Calendar: $85/person (2 people per class)
- For those who want to book a class on the online calendar and pay online
Natural lotion add-on: $30/person (make 4 fl oz)
Bath bomb/fizzy add-on: $20/person (make 6 bath bombs)
Lip balm add-on: $15/person (make 5 tubes)