General Class Information:
Very small class sizes! Choose to take a private class just for you or a semi-private class on the online calendar for only 2 people per class. Small groups allow for a more personal, enjoyable experience, in which you can feel comfortable to ask all of your questions and then go home ready to try out your new skill!
Available every day of the week! Set up a private class any day of the week at a time that works best for you or book a slot in an available class on the online calendar.
100% hands-on! Make the products yourself; you won't watch, you'll do.
Customize your products! I supply the recipes & ingredients, and you choose which work best for you.
Bring nothing! Everything is provided in the class, as well as snacks & tea, with NO extra materials fee.
It's all in the details! Take home a thorough, detailed instructional handout with recipes, ingredients, materials list & suppliers.
Go home with a starter kit! If you'd like to continue your new hobby at home right away, I offer all of the ingredients at just a little over my cost, and I buy everything in bulk and can offer very cheap prices to help get you started. Sometimes it's tough to wait for your ingredients to arrive in the mail!
Safely First! Since lye, KOH, is used in this class, you will be provided the best safety equipment for the class. A common question: is lye necessary for soap making? Yes! A base is needed with one hydroxide ion, so Potassium Hydroxide is used. But, don't worry, there is no lye in the final product due to the chemical reaction that takes place between the carrier oils and the lye, which is converted into salt! My goal is for you to understand what lye is, how to handle lye & to respect lye, not fear it! Come to class to learn more about lye, including its history & many other uses! Check out my most recent reviews to see what previous students had to say about working with lye.
Liquid Soap & Face/Body Wash Making Class (3.5 hours)
This hands-on class is for:
- beginner soap makers who want to focus on learning how to make liquid products
- advanced soap makers who have learned how to make bar soap and now want to learn how to make liquid soap
In the class, you'll learn how to make the most versatile type of soap, liquid soap, and how to use it to make face/body wash. The liquid soap is a soap base, similar to castile soap, which can be used as is or it can be mixed with other ingredients to create a variety of products, not only face/body wash, but also dish soap, laundry detergent & more. In this class, you will be able to use the liquid soap base to make a creamy, thicker face/body wash with other skin-nourishing ingredients so that your face/body wash is best for your particular skin type, including honey, natural/carriers oils like avocado oil or jojoba oil, butters, aloe vera, rose water, etc.
We'll cover the following:
- The science behind soap making, saponification, & other important soap terms like super-fatting & curing
- Lye information & safety (read more above: "Safety First!")
- A brief history of soap making & what makes liquid soap different from modern-day, store-bought soaps
- The materials and ingredients needed and where to get them (I provide a suppliers' list as part of the class handout)
- How to formulate a soap recipe based on your needs (e.g. dry skin, sensitive skin), using a very handy online soap calculator
- How to test the pH of your soap to make sure it is safe to use
- Making your liquid soap, which includes a cooking phase, and what to do at home afterwards; liquid soap can be used after 24 hours
- Making your face/body wash, customized by you for your particular skin-care needs
Formulating a balanced recipe is the most important part of soap making, so my goal is for you to go home feeling very capable & comfortable with the intricacies of the soap calculator.
Go home with a customized product! In class, you will:
- Choose a recipe that is best for your skin type (e.g. more conditioning or bubbly)
- Make about 30 fl oz. of liquid soap and 4 fl oz of face/body wash, customized with the ingredients/additives of your choice*
- Go home with 6 liquid-soap recipes and thorough, step-by-step instructional handout, including ingredients, lye info & history, recipes and a list of materials/equipment & online suppliers
* Important Note: Fragrances are no longer offered in classes because continual exposure causes the teacher allergies, but you are free to bring your own fragrances from home to class to add to your products.
Everything is provided in the class, as well as some snacks & tea.
You must wear closed-toe shoes, a long-sleeved shirt and pants to this class.
Class Cost & Discounts:
Private Class: $165; contact Lindsay to set up your class at a time that works for you
- For a class by yourself
- If there are 2 or more in your party (pay the semi-private price)
- If you want to make 3 or more products in 1 class (get a discount too)
Semi-private Class on the Online Calendar: $100/person (2 people per class)
- For those who want to book a class on the online calendar and pay online
- Lip balm (+$20; adds about 30 minutes)
- Lotion (+$40; adds about 1 hr)
Fragrances are no longer offered in classes because continual exposure causes the teacher allergies, but you are free to bring your own fragrances from home to class to add to your products.