General Class Information:
Very small class sizes! Choose to take a private class just for you or a semi-private class on the online calendar for only 2-3 people per class. Small groups allow for a more personal, enjoyable experience, in which you can feel comfortable to ask all of your questions and then go home ready to try out your new skill!
Available every day of the week! Set up a private class for any day of the week at a time that works best for you or book a slot in an available class on the online calendar.
100% hands-on! Make the products yourself; you won't watch, you'll do.
Customize your products! I supply the recipes & ingredients, and you choose which work best for you.
Bring nothing! Everything is provided in the class with NO extra materials fee.
It's all in the details! Take home a thorough, detailed instructional handout with recipes, ingredients, materials list, suppliers & more.
Safely First! Since lye, NaOH, is used in this class, you will be provided the best safety equipment for the class. A common question: is lye necessary for soap making? Yes! A base is needed with one hydroxide ion, so Sodium Hydroxide is used...And it has many other uses as well! But, don't worry, there is no lye in the final product due to the chemical reaction that takes place between the carrier oils and the lye, which is converted into salt! My goal is for you to understand what lye is, how to handle lye & to respect lye, not fear it! Come to class to learn more about lye, including its history & many other uses! Check out my most recent reviews to see what previous students had to say about working with lye.
Advanced Cold Process Soap Making Class: Working With Milk, Beer, Aloe, Coffee & Color (2 hours)
This hands-on class is for those who want to go on to the next step in cold-process soap making: working with water substitutes (e.g. milk, aloe vera, coffee, beer) & adding color to your soap. It is recommended that you have some knowledge of soap making before taking this class as it is more advanced than basic cold-process soap making.
We'll cover the following:
- A brief review of the science behind soap making, saponification, & important soap terms like super-fatting & curing; lye safety (read more above: "Safety First!"); & the online soap calculator (for customizing recipes)
- The benefits of using water substitutes and how to work with them
- The pros & cons of the various colorant options and how to work with them (clays, herbs & micas)
- Making your soap, choosing other soap additives like honey, exfoliants & essential oils, and what to do at home afterwards
Formulating a balanced recipe is the most important part of soap making, so my goal is to make sure you understand saponification, how to use the online soap calculator, and how colorants and water substitutes can affect the final product.
Go home with a customized product! In class, you will:
- Choose a recipe that is best for your skin type (e.g. more conditioning or bubbly)
- Make 8 oz. of soap, customized with your choice of colorant, goat's milk, coconut milk, beer, coffee &/or aloe vera
- Further customize your soap with your choice of essential oils and silicone mold, which you can keep and reuse (2-3 bars, depending on the mold)
- Add other additives to your soap, if desired (honey for extra conditioning, amaranth for exfoliation)
Go home with 6 soap recipes and a thorough, step-by-step instructional handout, including ingredients, lye info and a list of materials/equipment & online suppliers
Note that it takes at least 2 weeks for the soap to cure and be ready for use. It will be hard to wait, but well worth it! Then, you'll be ready to make your next batch of soap - it's addictive!
Everything is provided in the class, as well as some snacks & tea.
You must wear closed-toe shoes, a long-sleeved shirt and pants to this class.
Natural lotion (+$30), face/body wash (+$25), bath bombs/fizzies (+$20) & lip balm (+$15) can be added on to any class; each adds about 30-90 minutes, depending on the product. Each product can be customized with the ingredients of your choice, based on your fragrance preference &/or skin-care needs.
Class Cost & Discounts:
Private Class: $100; contact Lindsay to set up your class at a time that works for you
- For a class by yourself
- If you want to make 3 or more products in 1 class (you can receive a discount as well)
- If there are 2 or more in your party (you can receive a discount as well)
Semi-private Class on the Online Calendar: $65/person (2 people per class)
- For those who want to book a class on the online calendar and pay online
Natural lotion add-on: $30/person (make 4 fl oz)
Face/body wash add-on: $25/person (make 4 fl oz)
Bath bomb/fizzy add-on: $20/person (make 6 bath bombs)
Lip balm add-on: $15/person (make 5 tubes)